Try this easy recipe for your Christmas baking today! :)
Serves: 36 cookies
Units: US | Metric
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon clove
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup margarine
1 egg, beaten
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a medium saucepan, heat sugar, molasses, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in soda (it will foam up).
- Stir in margarine till melted.
- With a fork, stir in egg, then flour.
- On a floured surface, knead dough till mixed. Divide dough in half, wrap half with plastic wrap; set aside.
- Roll half the dough, with a rolling pin, slightly thinner than 1/4 inch.
- Cut with cutters.
- Bake at 325F on a cookie sheet for 12 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- Makes about 3 dozen 3" gingerbread people.
- NOTE: We make houses by cutting out our house design (the 2 sides of the roof, two sides, a front and a back of the house) on graph paper, and then placing the graph paper shapes on the dough and cutting the dough shapes out with a knife.
**Credits: The above recipe is provided by food.com