Loveamme FlexSkin Breast Shield
Other breast pumps are often pre-packed with 1 to 2 breast shield sizes. In the best case, it’s a perfect fit – if not, you’ll be off to the store again to find your breast shield. Often times, one side of your breast may require a different size, but many breast pump companies make you buy a pair of breast shields when you really need a different size for each side. All these are a waste of earth’s limited resources, your time and money.
At LoveAmme®, we offer breast shields in 5 sizes to help you achieve your ideal fit, for the most comfortable and efficient pumping experience. LoveAmme® FlexSkin™ Breast Shields are available in 17 / 19 / 22 / 24 / 27 / 30mm, and are sold individually so you get the flexibility to select the most suitable size for each breast. Naturally, our breast shields are made using only 100% Food-Grade Silicone. We engage independent labs to certify it to be BPA and Phthalates-Free.
Choose your FlexSkin™ Breast Shield Size in 2 Easy Steps
Step 1: Assemble your Nipple Ruler
To help you with your sizing, we’ve created a ruler you can use at home!
- Print out the LoveAmme Nipple Ruler at 100% scale.
- Link on the Nipple Ruler at LoveAmme's official website.
- Cut along the dashed lines and fold along the dotted lines
- Assemble ruler as shown below.
Step 2: Find your Size
- Measure the diameter of your nipple as shown above. Do not pump before measuring.
- If you are in your 3rd trimester:
– Select a breast shield size 3-4mm larger than this measurement.
– It is not recommended to purchase your breast shields earlier than your 3rd trimester aas your nipple size may still change significantly
- If you are post-partum AND are already using a pump:
– Your nipple will expand slightly when milk is expressed, so it is important to measure after nipple expansion to ensure the size selected will be a good fit.
i. Pump for 5 minutes using your current breast shields.
ii. Stop pumping and measure the diameter of your nipple as shown in the diagram.
iii. Select a breast shield size 2mm larger than this measurement.
Breast Shield Sizing Chart
Checking for Fit
Your nipple rubs along the side of the shield tunnel. This will lead to painful redness from the friction (ouchie!)
Your nipple should be centered in the tunnel and is able to move freely during expression. Milk can be expressed freely.
Practically your whole areola is pulled into the shield tunnel. This may result in a poor transfer of milk or incomplete emptying of breasts.
- You may need a different size for each breast so measure both sides!
- Your breast shield size will differ depending on your skin elasticity.
- Your shield size could also change over your breast pumping journey with the variation in your milk supply
- LoveAmme’s breast shields are sold singly. If you are buying our breast shields pre-partum from a retailer with an extended exchange policy, you may want to consider only testing one side to confirm if you have selected the right size, and the unopened one would still be valid for exchange.
- Hard breast shields made of PP is more likely to result in leakages while pumping as it doesn’t conform to your breast contours. That’s why LoveAmme’s FlexSkin™ Breast Shields are made of soft silicone that conform to your breast and allow for comfortable and spill-free breastfeeding sessions.